4.23.2009

Flash Games & Don't Look Back

Currently playing:
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
-----------------------
Flash games have become so prevalent on the web that it is an aspect of the industry that really cannot (and should not) be ignored anymore. Flash games were the Wii of gaming before the Wii had even arrived: it brought people to gaming who otherwise would not seriously look into it on a console or the PC. It is, of course, free, which only adds to the positive aspect of FGs. What is encouraging, though, is that there are very talented developers who are starting to look at FGs as a very viable way to bring their gaming vision to life. They are not constrained by the deadlines of a major studio and they (in all likelihood) do not have to meet expectations of investors. In other words, they are only restrained creatively by the limitations they impose on themselves.

With that introduction, let me introduce you to
Don't Look Back.

In college, I played a decent number of flash games online, because, let's face it, college students can't really afford to go and buy videogames all the time; on top of that, I was tired of all the titles I had for my PS2 at the time. I went to Miniclip.com a lot (man, the hours I wasted on Heli Attack 3), Addictinggames.com, and also frequented MSN (I swear on all that is good and right in this world: Hexic is like an addictive drug that's bad for you... you want to stop. You really,
really do. You hate that freaking piece of trash at times... but you keep coming BACK). It's only been in the last couple of days that I've discovered Kongregate.com. Of the very few games I've played on that website, Don't Look Back is one of the most intriguing. I don't know if I can say it's the best, but it does a fantastic job of creating an engrossing atmosphere, and it even has a little surprise for you halfway through the game.

DLB takes a very minimalist approach, even more so than other flash games; seriously, go play HA3 and DLB and you'll understand what I mean. Even with this approach (the game only uses four colors. Yep, you read that correctly....
four colors), it's quite impressive to see what DLB's creator/developer, Terry Cavanagh, achieves. The game is only twenty to thirty minutes long and it definitely provides a challenge at times. The final boss you face can be ridiculous; I spent close to five minutes on him, but when you consider the overall length of the game, that translates to somewhere between 17% and 25% of the overall gameplay time, so that should give you an idea.

Developers like Cavanagh need encouragement to continue to do what they do. And the only way for people like you and me to do that is to go play. If you have a free half hour or so, go check out DLB. I think you'll enjoy the time you give it.

Happy gaming, friends.

-CptnMayhem

P.S.- You can check out an interview with Cavanagh here.

2 comments:

  1. Why do I have a feeling that if I click on the links I'll be sucked in?
    Too late...

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete