6.17.2009

Scribblenauts Blows My Mind

For the longest time now, I thought I would never purchase a portable platform such as the PSP or the DS. I never saw the need for it. Why play on a cramped little device and squint my eyes to see the 2.5 inch screen when I can hold an incredibly comfortable controller in my hands and watch my progress on a gorgeous 47 inch LCD TV? It's never made sense to me.

Until now.

Scribblenauts is a title coming for Nintendo's DS platform sometime at the end of the year. The basic premise is simple: you play as a character named Maxwell, and you must collect what are called "starites." Why do you need these starites? Sounds a little like Mario or something, right?

Who. CARES.

The shining point of this game is also incredibly simple, but amazingly deep: you type in the objects you need/want to appear on screen. Yes, you read that right. You type in words, and the objects they represent actually appear on the game screen.

This is why I love Nintendo: somehow, they continue to acquire these phenomenal IPs that are completely unique and fun. Playing a mini version of God of War or Resistance doesn't hold any appeal to me; playing a game where I can introduce literally anything I want into the game itself? Definitely.

In the video below, you'll see Scribblenauts creator Jeremiah Slaczka type in everything from an axe to God riding on a skateboard. I could go on about how incredible this looks, but I'll just let you watch the video below, courtesy of IGN.com.

Needless to say, I may just be asking for a DS for Christmas just so I can get this game.


2 comments:

  1. Okay.....WOW. That is amazing. I completely agree with you, I would much rather see things like this for a portable system than mini versions of games that I can just play on my TV. This looks brilliant, I'll be interested to see what happens with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can't wait for this game. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete